[R] R rpm for Mandriva 2008.1 ?

Paul Bivand paul.bivand at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 17:59:54 CEST 2008

The problem I have with using the Mandriva package system for R is
that the base installation is seriously outdated at 2.6.2 (when we are
now at 2.7.2). The range of packages available through the Mandriva
repositories is also far from comprehensive.

Therefore I compile from source, which requires ensuring that I have
all the dependencies and a full build system (which is not there in
the default Mandriva install - Fortran needs adding and a range of
-devel packages).

The linux version of install.packages() assumes the presence of a full
build system. While Debian (and derivatives) have a full package list
from repositories, the mandriva user needs to compile for some
packages (unless I have missed something)

Paul Bivand

Paul Bivand
Head of Analysis and Statistics
Centre for Economic & Social Inclusion
Direct Line: 020 7840 8335

Inclusion has a launched a new website, please visit: www.cesi.org.uk

Inclusion
3rd floor, 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP
Tel: 020 7582 7221
Fax: 020 7582 6391
Inclusion website: www.cesi.org.uk

Consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are intended solely
for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient
please return the e-mail to the sender and delete from your mailbox.

The Centre for Economic & Social Inclusion is a company limited by
guarantee. Registered in England & Wales number 2458694. Registered
address: 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP