[R] How to plot contours for joint density of 2 independently distributed r.v.?

Dimitris Rizopoulos d.rizopoulos at erasmusmc.nl
Mon Sep 15 17:07:54 CEST 2008

do you know the probability density functions for these random variable?
If yes, then you need something like the following:

x <- seq(-5, 5, len = 50)
y <- seq(0.001, 10, len = 50)
z <- outer(x, y, function(x, y){
     dnorm(x) * dgamma(y, 5)
})

contour(x, y, z)

where you replace dnorm() and dgamma() with your pdf's.

If you just have a sample from X and Y, then you could use kernel
density estimation, for instance, check

help("bkde2D", package = "KernSmooth")

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

--
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Assistant Professor

Address: PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Tel: +31/(0)10/7043478
Fax: +31/(0)10/7043014