[R] Truncating dates (and other date-time manipulations)

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 18:25:34 CEST 2008

Not really the ceiling and floor, though I haven't tried your code
(and my brain isn't at 100% capacity today to simply parse the code in
my head :) )

Though I think ?firstof and ?lastof  as well as startof/endof might be
something along those lines.  ?to.period has the ability to change
periodicity of a series (price or OHLCV-style price). Internal to that
is a method to re-align the output series:

>From the help:
 To adjust the final indexing style, it is possible to set
     'indexAt' to one of the following: 'yearmon', 'yearqtr',
     'firstof', 'lastof', 'startof', or 'endof'.  The final index will
     then be 'yearmon', 'yearqtr', the first time of the period, the
     last time of the period, the starting time in the data for that
     period, or the ending time in the data for that period,
     respectively.

Might that be what you are after (not the actual implementation per
se, but the spirit).

BTW, I am philosophically opposed to typing :)

Actually the chartSeries stuff is quite dynamic (and no more
specialized IMO than boxplot et al) --- take a look.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Ryan
jeffrey.ryan at insightalgo.com