[R] Convex optimization in R?

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 11 16:32:48 CEST 2008

I would be very wary of such approaches;  my experience is that MM is
inferior
to the early affine-scaling versions of interior point algorithms for
linear programming
problems, and modern implementations like the Mehrotra version of the
primal dual
algorithm are much, much quicker and more reliable.   More general
convex programming
is more delicate, and it is unlikely that methods that aren't that
successful with LPs
improve their performance in more complex settings.  Something in R
based on CVX
or Saunder's PDCO, or similar would be very welcome.  Meanwhile, as
I've said
earlier on R-help, it is fairly convenient to link these options to R
via R.matlab.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820