[R] RSiteSearch for words ``as one entity''.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 10:45:46 CEST 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:

> Brian,
>
> open will call whatever program is defined for a certain extension. You can
> set this with a plug in to System Preferences called Default Apps for
> example.

Yes, I do know that.  I was pointing out that I tested Safari, not
Firefox.

> So on my Mac(s) Firefox is the default.

But there are at least three ways to call Firefox on an R URL on a Mac:

via setting options("browser") with name 'firefox' that uses -remote

via setting options("browser") with some other name

via customizing 'open',

and they may well behave differently (but the first two do both work under
Linux).

I don't have Firefox installed on my Mac (I basically only use it to test
R things), but on other Unix-alikes 'firefox' is actually a shell script,
and my guess is that something in that shell script has not been
customized for the Mac shell in use.  (Another difference is that my MacOS
is current Leopard and I believe Rolf is on Tiger.)

This is not called 'quoting hell' without reason.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk