[R] Mixed effects model with binomial errors - problem

RFTW l.temarvelde at nioo.knaw.nl
Wed Sep 10 15:13:48 CEST 2008

Hi,
We released individual birds into a room with 2 trees. We counted the number
of visits to each of the 2 tree. One of the trees is always a control tree
and the other tree is either  treatment 1, treatment 2 or treatment3 or
treatment 4.

Ind	Treat ContrTree	ExpTree	Total visits
1	1	11	16	27
1	2	6	9	15
1	3	5	13	18
1	4	11	25	36
2	1	2	3	5
4	1	6	7	13
4	3	4	4	8
4	4	2	5	7
6	1	1	1	2
6	4	5	16	21
etc
etc

(as you see, not all treatments are included for all individuals)

Our question is if the proportion of visits to the experimental tree, in
relation to the total number of visits to both trees differs between
treatments.

We have made treatment and individual into a factor
All individuals were subjected to a maximum of 4  treatments, so
'individual' is a random factor

We came up with this model:
model1<-lmer(cbind(ExpTree,Total visits-ExpTree)~ Treat +(1|Ind),method="ML"
, family=binomial, data=r))

However, the error we get is this:

Error in match.arg(method, c("Laplace", "AGQ")) :
  'arg' should be one of “Laplace”, “AGQ”

HELP!