[R] Modality Test

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 13:59:40 CEST 2008

Hi Bert,

>> ## returns TRUE only if the distributions are the same ...

Thanks for the elegant code. Problem is, the result is elusive, constantly
slipping from view and then rolling into the dip. Perhaps it's broken in
this version of R (2.7.2.Patched). A fix would therefore be much
appreciated, as I may need to use it again in the near future. A little
example follows:

##
p1 <- rnorm(100, 10, 5)
p2 <- rnorm(100, 35, 5)
equaldist(p1, p2)
[1] FALSE
equaldist(c(p1,p2), c(p2,p1))
[1] FALSE

plot(density(c(p1, p2)), main="Twin Peaks")
lines(c(p1,p2))
?

Regards, Mark.