[R] "figure margins too large" issue

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 03:04:19 CEST 2008

on 09/09/2008 05:19 PM Hui-Yi Chu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I updated R from 2.6.2 to 2.7.2 recently but keep getting the error "figure
> margins too large" when plot pictures which never happened to me when using
> 2.6.2. After googling and searching the mailing list, I still have no idea
> how to optimize it. One of my packages fixed bugs in 2.7.2 version, so that
> I have to use it. Any suggestions are really appreciated!!!
>
> Best regards,
> Hui-Yi Chu

There were substantial changes in the graphics devices for 2.7.0. More
information here:

  https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-2-7-branch/NEWS

and review the sections for 2.7.0 and newer, which now includes 2.7.2
patched.

Without knowing your OS and which graphics device you are using and
having an issue with, preferably along with sample (working) code that
reproduces the issue, it will be difficult to know the exact source of
the problem.

A first place to start however would be to see ?par and review 'mar'.
You will likely need to adjust either the default values or any adjusted
values you have in your code.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz