[R] Modality Test

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 22:03:40 CEST 2008

Hi Amin,

>> First, does R have a package that can implement the multimodality test,
>> e.g., the Silverman test, DIP test, MAP test or Runt test.

Jeremy Tantrum (a Ph.D. student of Werner Steutzle's, c. 2003/04) did some
work on this. There is some useful code on Steutzle's website:

http://www.stat.washington.edu/wxs/Stat593-s03/Code/jeremy-unimodality.R

I used it last year when I was trying to solve the problem of how best to
compare lots of density curves (age distributions of 3 spp. of tree
euphorbias from about very different 35 sites). In particular I had to
ensure that I wasn't creating spurious bimodality at a particular age range
when combining sites.

You might find it useful. Feel free to contact me off list if the code has
gone, as I think I still have it (somewhere).

Regards, Mark.