[R] Information on the number of CPU's

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 9 21:57:23 CEST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, tolga.i.uzuner at jpmorgan.com wrote:

> Dear R Users,
> I am on Windows XP SP2 platform, using R version 2.7.2 . I was wondering
> if there is a way to find out, within R, the number of CPU's on my machine
> ? I would use this information to set the number of nodes in a cluster,
> depending on the machine. Sys.info() and .Platform do not carry this
> information.

Correct, since

a) R does not make use of more than 1.

b) It is really not portable, and not even well-defined.  (How many CPUs
has a hyperthreaded dual Xeon?  Some say 2, some say 4.  Do you want
CPUs or cores?  If this is a virtualized OS, is the physical number or the
logical number?)

In the case of Windows, how depends on the Windows version.  The w32api
(XP or later) call GetNativeSystemInfo will tell you the number of CPUs,
for some (unstated) definition of 'CPU'.  Later versions have
GetLogicalProcessorInformation, which can give the number of cores.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk