[R] How does predict.lm work?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Tue Sep 9 17:12:29 CEST 2008

on 09/09/2008 09:59 AM Williams, Robin wrote:
> Hi,
>   Please could someone explain how this element of predict.lm works?
>>From the help file
> `
> newdata
> An optional data frame in which to look for variables with which to
> predict. If omitted, the fitted values are used.
> '
>   Does this dataframe (newdata) need to have the same variable names as
> was used in the original data frame used to fit the model?

Yes. Also, see the Note in ?predict.lm:

"Variables are first looked for in newdata and then searched for in the
usual way (which will include the environment of the formula used in the
fit). A warning will be given if the variables found are not of the same
length as those in newdata if it was supplied."

It also says "Variables", not columns.

> Or will R
> just look across consecutive columns of newdata, and apply them to the
> call as appropriate?

No.

>   For example, if I have fitted a model with four variables
> (x1,x2,x3,x4) in my original dataframe, and then have a second dataframe
> which I want to supply to the newdata argument in predict.lm with
> variable names (x5, x6, x7, x8), do I need to change the variable names
> in my newdata dataframe to match those of the original dataframe?

Yes.

> Or
> will R treat x5 as x1, x6 as x2, etc, when using predict.lm?
>   I would like to know so that I can design the structure of some
> somewhat larger dataframes in a manner which will make using predict.lm
> straight forward and quick.
> Hope this makes sense.
> Many thanks for any help.

HTH,