[R] Hopefully an easy error bar question

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Sep 7 03:46:54 CEST 2008

Ben Bolker wrote:

>>     FEH> See http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/DynamitePlots for many reasons not
>>     FEH> to use dynamite plots.
>>
>> Ah!  Very good!  Let's hope this eventually leads to progress
>> i.e., to much less use of these..
>>
>> Thank you, Frank!
>> Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
>>
>>     FEH> --
>
>   Yes, but:
>
> http://emdbolker.wikidot.com/blog:dynamite
>
> (repeats Frank's criticisms, but also raises
> the point that boxplots show the range of the
> data, but not much about the statistical inferences
> on the data ...)
>
>   comments welcome.
>
>   Ben Bolker

Hi Ben,

I enjoyed the blog.

Depending on the sample size I prefer extended box plots (e.g.,
?panel.bpplot in the Hmisc package) with raw data superimposed.  The
3-number summary from the box plot does not contain enough information
when the sample size is moderate or large IMHO.  But for small samples,
raw data points supplemented by the 3 quartiles and the mean work well.

Frank