[R] Plotting the complex fft in 3D?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 6 11:07:01 CEST 2008

Just another remakr on this thread.

I you have  time series and think about its fourier transform
(EE language) then you should know that the statistical language
of that is "spectral analysis" or maybe
 "frequency domain time-series analysis"
and the R function to consider should definitely be

spectrum()  which is a wrapper (among others) to spec.pgram()
-- which calls fft() -- for computing the so-called
"periodogram".
If you learn more about the topic, you will learn that in almost
all cases you'd consider a *smoothed* version of the
periodogram, etc etc (because the so-called *raw* periodgram is
*in*consistent as an estimate fo the underlying true spectrum).
The Time-Series chapter/section of the MASS book is very helpful
here, IIRC.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich