[R] upgraded maps database for italy?

Ray Brownrigg ray at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Fri Sep 5 23:19:39 CEST 2008

The "italy" (and "france") databases only exists in the maps package because somebody
supplied me with the data in an appropriate format - latitude/longitude pairs separately
for each polygon (provinces in this case).  If you have the appropriate data for what you
want i.e. updated provinces and regioni, then I could generate a new database (no promises
as to how quickly this will happen though).  You *could* do it yourself if you read all
the references contain in the maps documentation, but I wouldn't recommend learning how to
do this unless you intend doing it frequently.

However as Greg Snow comments, maptools may well be a better way to go and uses a more
generally available data format.  The maps package, which traces its roots back to 'New' S
(the Blue book), is rather showing its age, but there is no reason to delete it while some
people still find it useful.

Regards,
Ray Brownrigg