[R] Confidence Intervals on Hazard Plots

Alan Cox acox at icontact.com
Fri Sep 5 15:20:09 CEST 2008

Hello,  Is it possible to create confidence intervals for hazard rates?  I'm creating two muhaz objects:

haz1 <- muhaz(NumDaysCustomer[cRV=="true"],status[cRV=="true"])
haz2 <- muhaz(NumDaysCustomer[cRV=="false"],status[cRV=="false"])

and plotting them.

There are many, many more observations in the cohort cRV=="false" than =="true".  And, there are many more observations with lifetimes in the middle of the range than at the ends.  I suspect that this is a common phenomenon.    When I plot the two hazard rate curves, haz1 looks very different than haz2, but I'd like to see if it's different enough.  How can I go about creating confidence intervals and plotting them?

Thanks,  Alan

--
Alan Cox
Director, User Experience