[R] converting values of a dataframe to numeric (where possible)

Ralikwen Balazs.Klein at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 12:39:52 CEST 2008

When I do as.matrix I loose those columns that I specified as row headers
during cast.
Maybe its because of this:
"When coercing a vector, it produces a one-column matrix, and promotes the
names (if any) of the vector to the rownames of the matrix."
but I cant figure out what does this mean or what to do to make it work.

Thanks for the help.
B.

df <- data.frame(
  entityID=c(10,10,10,12,12,12),
  attributeID=c("attr1","attr2","attr3","attr1","attr2","attr3"),
  value=c(10,11,12,"aa",21,22)
)
x<-cast(df,entityID ~ attributeID)
as.matrix(x)