[R] Non-constant variance and non-Gaussian errors with gnls

Paul Suckling paul.suckling at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 10:24:10 CEST 2008

Well, it looks like I am partly answering my own question. gnls is
clearly not going to be the right method to use to try out a
non-Gaussian error structure. The "ls"=Least Squares in "gnls" means
minimising the sum of the square of the residuals ... which is
equivalent to assuming a Gaussian error structure and maximising the
likelihood. So gnls is implicitly Gaussian.

Still, there must be some packages out there that can be applied to
non-linear regression with not-necessarily-Gaussian error structures
and weighting, although I appreciate that that's a difficult problem
to solve. Does anyone here know of any?

Thank you,

Paul

--