[R] installation problem: package 'mgcv' could not be loaded

Simon Zhu caoanroad4800 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 09:03:57 CEST 2008

Hello all, i'm a newbie of R trying to make some statistical work in R
environment. Now i have to laptops, one is Thinkpad X40 with Debian
Lenny and the other is Thinkpad T43 with Ubuntu 8.10. Recently i met
such problem and am wondering if anybody can do some help.

After upgrading my /etc/apt/sources.list , i install R by apt-get
install command. It works fine in both laptops. Then i tried to install
packages such as JGR and TSA. Problem occured when i installed TSA in my
Ubuntu T43.

 > install.packages('TSA')

and i get the following error message:

    locfit 1.5-4      2007-11-27
    Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
      unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/mgcv/libs/mgcv.so':
       libRlapack.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
     Error: package 'mgcv' could not be loaded
     Execution halted
     ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'TSA'
     ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/TSA'

     The downloaded packages are in
    /tmp/RtmpClJMOJ/downloaded_packages
    Warning message:
    In install.packages("TSA") :
    installation of package 'TSA' had non-zero exit status

The problems is, i used exact the same commands and configuration of R
in both my Debian-X40 and Ubuntu-T43. It works in Debian but not in T43.
Anybody who can help me about how to fix it would be a lot appreciated.
thanks !

--
Yanyuan Zhu
MSN messenger: CaoAnRoad4800 at hotmail.com