[R] how to compute a roc curve

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Oct 31 20:32:59 CET 2008

There are various packages that do ROC curves (others have mentioned some, you can search for the others), but ROC curves are not that hard to do by hand in R.  Using the classic iris dataset, we can use Sepal.Length as the test/score and species=='virginica' as the true pos/neg that we are trying to predict.  One way to compute the ROC curve, auc and values is:

> xx <- c( -Inf, sort(unique(iris$Sepal.Length)), Inf )
> sens <- sapply(xx, function(x) with(iris,
+ mean( Sepal.Length[Species=='virginica'] >= x ) ) )
> spec <- sapply(xx, function(x) with(iris,
+ mean( Sepal.Length[Species!='virginica'] < x ) ) )
> plot( 1-spec, sens, type='l' )
>
> ch <- chull(1-spec,sens)
> lines(1-spec[ch], sens[ch], col='green')
>
> integrate( approxfun(spec, sens), 0, 1) # Area under curve

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center