[R] bizarre axes with xyplot, problem in data?

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Thu Oct 30 21:47:50 CET 2008

> If anyone is bored I am still interested in why R
> orders lattice plots from bottom to top.

The idea was that, just as small values of
x are typically found to the left end of the X axis
and small values of y are typically found at the
bottom end of the Y axis; a trellis plot corresponding
to a small value of the conditioning variable should
appear to the lower left of the trellis plot set,
and a trellis plot corresponding to a large value of
the conditioning variable should be found to the upper
right of the trellis plot set.

Sounds like wise graphical layout policy, but is
surprisingly confusing in many cases.  Thankfully
Deepayan Sarkar has included options to allow
alternate layouts.

(Reference:
Becker, Cleveland, Shyu, Kaluzny
http://www.research.att.com/areas/stat/doc/95.12.color.ps
Section 2.6 Layout
"Remember that trellis displays are filled as graphs,
from the origin in the lower left, not top-down as in
a table." )

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre

email: smckinney +at+ bccrc +dot+ ca

tel: 604-675-8000 x7561

BCCRC