[R] Transferring results from R to MS Word

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 28 15:39:17 CET 2008

--- On Mon, 10/27/08, Tom Backer Johnsen <backer at psych.uib.no> wrote:

> From: Tom Backer Johnsen <backer at psych.uib.no>
> Subject: Re: [R] Transferring results from R to MS Word
> To: "Greg Snow" <Greg.Snow at imail.org>
> Cc: "r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch" <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
> Greg Snow wrote:
> > Any timing is of course your decision, but my
> observation (being one of my company's test cases for
> updating office) is that transitioning from MSWord 2003 to
> OpenOffice Writer will be less work/stress than
> transitioning from MSWord 2003 to MSWord 2007.
>
> That agrees with my own observation, I have Office 2007
> installed and
> often have to hunt around for things.  However, I looked at
> OpenOffice
> some time ago, and one of the impressions that remains is
> that it took a
> long time to load.  I may be wrong about that.
>
> Tom

I believe that OpenOffice.org has been addressing this problem but it seems to be very idiosycratic. I have found that OOo 2.3.1 and 2.4.0 seem to load faster than MS Word 2007 on the same machine.  In fact I have never had any of OOo 2.x versions take more than roughly 5 seconds to load on a XP with 1 GB memory. Others report quite long loading times.