[R] Upgrade

rkevinburton at charter.net rkevinburton at charter.net
Sun Oct 26 19:48:59 CET 2008

I recentlry tried to upgrade to 2.8.0. I ended up uninstalling 2.7.2 and installing 2.8.0 becuase the line in the FAQ states:

That's a matter of taste. For most people the best thing to do is to uninstall R (see the previous Q), install the new version, copy any installed packages to the library folder in the new installation, run update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE) in the new R and then delete anything left of the old installation. Different versions of R are quite deliberately installed in parallel folders so you can keep old versions around if you wish.

The problem that I had is the library directroy in 2.8.0 was almost identical to 2.7.2. No folders that were different from the installation with 2.8.0 yet I know that I have installed packages. So I am not sure what to copy.

I also uninstalled Tinn-R and tried to reinstall it now I am getting the ".trpaths not found" error. So I tried to configure the Tinn-R installation and I get:

Warning in install.packages("Hmisc") :
  argument 'lib' is missing: using 'F:\Users\Kevin\Documents/R/win-library/2.8'
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Warning message:
package ‘Hmisc’ is not available

Upgrading shouldn't be this hard. I am doing something either out of order or just plain wrong. Any hints on upgrading?

Thank you.

Kevin