[R] Automatically adjust text size in plot

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Sat Oct 25 06:47:14 CEST 2008

You can use strheight and strwidth to find the height and width of a string in user coordinates, current font, cex=1.  From that you can figure out how much to change the size to fit within the area of interest.  You may also want to look at the textplot function in the gplots package.  It adjusts text to fit a plot, looking at the code to see how that function does it may give you more ideas,

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center