[R] plot - central limit theorem

Yihui Xie xieyihui at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 14:32:57 CEST 2008

I don't know whether showing p-values is the best approach either, but
I'm using them only as indicators to show how good the approximation
would be as the sample size increases. You may regard the p-values as
a measure of goodness of fit. I don't think I need to answer the
question of hypothesis test -- as Duncan has explained.

Yes you can generate normal random numbers in the mean time and
compare the p-values, but I prefer comparing the sample means with the
theoretical population distribution instead of simulated normal random
numbers.

The problem with most demos in CLT is we have no means to observe how
good is the approximation. In your clt.examp(), there is a graphical
measure, i.e. comparing the density curve to the histogram, but that's
not sufficient, as sometimes our eyes cannot easily detect differences
between curves, e.g. the t-distribution and normal distribution.
That's why I use numerical measures like p-values.

P. S. I think your code in clt.examp() needs a correction: the
parameters of the theoretical normal distribution should not be
computed by *simulated* means & variances, but from original
theoretical distribution. For example, for the uniform distribution
over (a, b), mean = (a+b)/2 and sd=(b-a)/sqrt(12*n) (although in the
case of large sample sizes these results will be very close)

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>
Phone: +86-(0)10-82509086 Fax: +86-(0)10-82509086