[R] Dep setting for install of packages...

Brian Lunergan ff809 at ncf.ca
Sun Oct 19 03:37:25 CEST 2008

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> dependencies = NA is only identical to dependencies = FALSE if
>   .libPaths()
> has multiple components.  If it has a single component then its the
> same as dependencies = c("Depends", "Imports").   Read the
> dependencies= entry on the ?install.packages page.  Also read
> ?.libPaths

Ok, ran .libPaths() and got:

 > .libPaths()
[1] "C:/R-2.7.0/library"

That, as I understand the notes, is a valid path entry of > 1 character.
What am I missing about this? I already know, using the install.packages
example below, that explicitly stating dep = TRUE sends R off on a hunt for
the dependencies of a particular package during installation. What I would
like to know and understand is whether that is the only way to do so since
dep = TRUE has been turned off for the Install package(s) menu option or is
there a 'tweak' of the menu possible to turn the ability back on without
having to recompile the whole blessed program??

--

Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

---