[R] increase memory limit in R

liujb liujulia7 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 18:16:33 CEST 2008

Dear R users,

I am running lmer() and having memory problem: "reached total allocation of
1535Mb".

The lmer() function was successful (no errors or warnings). However when I
do "summary(fit.lmer), I got this "Error: cannot allocate vector of size
19.5 Mb). I used memory.size() and got 1880. I used memory.limit(2500) to
increase the memory size to 2500Mb, however I still get the warning messages
as above. I entered memory.limit() to check whether the size has been
increased or not, and R returns 2500.

I am running the program on Windows XP Professional, CPU 2.00GHz and 3.3 GB
of RAM.

I appreciate your advices. Thank you.
Julia