[R] One-sample test for p

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Oct 16 18:17:35 CEST 2008

I don't think that your question was bad form, there are some things you can do in the future to make it better form.  Your questions was certainly better form than others who just ask for an answer to their homework without even admitting that it is homework.  You were confused about some very fundamental concepts, but that in not necessarily a bad thing.

Confusion correctly applied is the first step on the road to greater understanding.

I would suggest that you go back to your text book and reread the information on testing and work through some more of the examples from the start (you have your hypotheses switched and the understanding of p-values backwards).

For future posting on this list, those of us who are current/former teachers are hesitant to give answers to what looks like homework when we don't know what the teachers intent in giving the homework was (do they want you to work something out for yourself, and just being given the answer will not help you understand where it came from; or have you already done that and learning different ways to do the same thing will expand your knowledge).  When others have posted that they have a hw problem that they have already answered by hand or using the official software of the class, they just now want to learn how to do the same thing in R, we have been happy to help.

For your future posts I would suggest (beyond reading the posting guide) that you give detail on what you have already done, what the teacher has said about using software, and what your focus is in asking the question (clarifying if an unexpected result is due to misunderstanding or wrong syntax, vs. finding if there is a better way to do something, etc.)

I have had many students who just get an answer, write it down, and go on without ever stopping to ask if the answer makes sense.  You are ahead of them already in the quest for understanding.

We don't want students to take shortcuts that bypass their understanding of something, but I for one would think it was a good thing if any students, after doing the homework the long way, found another way to do it to check their answers and expand their options.

Good luck in learning statistics and R,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center