[R] R on 64-bit Windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 15 12:17:24 CEST 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Göran Broström wrote:

> In the R for Windows FAQ (2.7.2) we have under 2.2:
> "There is no specific version for x64 Windows, but the standard 32-bit
> version works well enough."
> Does that include the handling of huge data sets?

Yes, but 'huge' is not the largest size in the Huber/Wegman
classification.  Also, few people with enormous datasets use Windows.

> What I have read in other places indicates that the answer is "No".  If
> so, will there be a 64-bit version availble soon? When I websearch for
> 64-bit MinGW it seems to exist out there.

Please do read all the FAQ: this is covered in Q8.1.  You are welcome
to try building a 64-bit version using the work that has already been
done, and you are welcome to pay for someone else to do so (and I
understand that such projects are under way).  If I wanted to do this I
would buy the PGI compilers and expect the port to be relatively simple.
I've wasted far too much time on mingw64: several times I have built a
complete version of R and it just crashed or failed even to start.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk