[R] XML_1.98-0 fails to build on Debian Lenny with gcc 4.3.2 and R-beta 2.8.0

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 14 21:00:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 02:34:57PM -0400, Mark Kimpel wrote:
> Subject pretty much says it all. Wonder if there is there is some code in
> XML that the new gcc doesn't like? See output below:

You are wondering wronly.

> * Installing *source* package 'XML' ...
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for sed... /bin/sed
> checking for xml2-config... no
> Cannot find xml2-config
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'XML'
> ** Removing '/home/mkimpel/R_HOME/site-library-2.8.0/XML'

You seem to be

a) missing the libxml2-dev package for Debian:

		sudo apt-get install libxml2-dev

b) once again ignoring the fact that XML is available for you as a
   binary Debian package via

		sudo apt-get install r-cran-xml'

c) also ignoring the fact that, should you still insist on building it
   yourself, that

   		sudo apt-get build-dep r-cran-xml

   would do step a) for you

d) forgetting that we repeatedly recommended r-sig-debian as a more
   suitable mailing list to you.

Stunned,  Dirk