[R] AIC score

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Tue Oct 14 11:53:51 CEST 2008

Michael Just <mgjust <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I ran AIC for some competing models I created. I get df and an AIC score
> from the AIC procedure. Can I use the models with the lowest AIC scores from
> this procedure to choose my 'best' models?

Depends. You told us nothing. Have you tried to search the list for AIC?

>If not, what else do I need to do
> (and know) and how can I do it in R to chose the 'best' models?

You could try stepAIC in package MASS. It is quite good in rejecting illegal
cases, such as REML based lme.

However, also check the field you are working in, and read other messages on
this list on the subject. Model selection might be acceptable in sociology, but
it is seen critical in formal medical studies.

Dieter