[R] Creating GUIs for R

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Sun Oct 12 22:35:38 CEST 2008

cls59 wrote:
> On a related note... does anyone know good resources for binding a C++
> program to the R library?
>
> I am thinking of writing an R GUI in Qt. I use a Mac and have looked at the
> Coca GUI source which binds Objective C to R. However, there is a lot of
> extra stuff going on- tab completion, function previewing, brace completion
> etc. All this makes it difficult to separate out the essence of running an R
> session inside a window.
>
> Basically, I would like to start with just a plain vanilla R session running
> inside a Qt widget. Any suggestions?

There is an RQt package (http://www.omegahat.org/RQt) which provides
the framework for using Qt objects within R.  It illustrates how the
bindings should be programmed, provides event handling using R
functions, and deals with the Qt meta object structure.

I expect that I will generate the bindings for the entire Qt library
within the next few months.

  D.