[R] R seven years ago

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Fri Oct 10 11:21:31 CEST 2008

Not to detract from John's very interesting work, but
there is a problem with citations as a measure of
penetration.  When R totally succeeds, there will be
no citations.  How many citations are there for Excel?
However, for the moment, citations are probably a
pretty good measure.

Using traffic on R-help is even more problematic in
this regard.  Each question sent to R-help is clearly a
failure (of documentation) rather than a success.  Plus,
unlike citations, there is a limit to the capacity of a mailing
list -- exponential growth in messages on a single list is
clearly unsustainable.  To look at such statistics it would
make sense to sum over all the R mailing lists.

Tangential: In the early days of S-news it was apparent
that traffic was a proxy not for total users but for new users.

Clarification: Saying that a question to R-help is a failure
of documentation is neither denigrating R documentation nor
letting questioners off the hook when the answer to their
question is clearly and prominently documented.  I'm saying
that for whatever reason the questioner found it less costly
to post a question than to find the answer in the documentation.
Cost functions vary.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696