[R] Error when reading a SAS transport file

Jean-Louis Abitbol jlabitbol at trophos.com
Thu Oct 9 14:13:41 CEST 2008

Dear All,

I get the following error when using either SASxport or Hmisc to read an
.xpt file:

> w <- read.xport("D:/consult/Trophos/dnp/base/TRO_ds_20081006.xpt")
Erreur dans factor(x, f$value, f$label) :
  invalid labels; length 15 should be 1 or 14
> z<- sasxport.get("D:/consult/Trophos/dnp/base/TRO_ds_20081006.xpt")
Erreur dans factor(x, f$value, f$label) :
  invalid labels; length 15 should be 1 or 14

I don't understand what is wrong with the labels ! Is there a limit for
their length ?
Could the problem be in the formats label ?

Just in case this might help this is the  output from
test <- lookup.xport("D:/consult/Trophos/dnp/base/TRO_ds_20081006.xpt")
print(test)

for the first SAS dataset:
SAS xport file
--------------
Filename: `D:/consult/Trophos/dnp/base/TRO_ds_20081006.xpt'

Variables in data set `ADMIN':
 dataset     name      type  format flength fdigits iformat iflength
 ifdigits                                  label nobs
   ADMIN      CEN   numeric               5       0                0
      0                                 Centre  696
   ADMIN      PNO   numeric               6       0                0
      0                      Pat./Subj. number  696
   ADMIN    VISIT   numeric  VISITF       0       0                0
      0                              Visit no.  696
   ADMIN   VISITR   numeric               0       0                0
      0                           Visit repeat  696
   ADMIN      PRO character               0       0                0
      0                         Project number  696
   ADMIN    STUDY character               0       0                0
      0                           Study number  696
   ADMIN  COLLDAT   numeric    DATE       7       0                0
      0      Date collected (study medication)  696
   ADMIN   COMM_O character               0       0                0
      0                                Comment  696
   ADMIN  INEXMET   numeric  YESNOF       0       0                0
      0      In-/exclusion criteria still met?  696
   ADMIN LABEL_NO   numeric               4       0                0
      0              Medication number (label)  696
   ADMIN  RAND_NO   numeric               4       0                0
      0 Lowest randomisation/medication number  696
   ADMIN   RETMED   numeric               4       0                0
      0            Number of capsules returned  696
   ADMIN     PAGE   numeric               0       0                0
      0                                   Page  696
   ADMIN    PAGER   numeric               0       0                0
      0                            Page repeat  696
   ADMIN CT_RECID character       $      40       0       $       40
      0         for merge with notes and flags  696
   ADMIN      RNO   numeric               4       0                0
      0                   Randomisation number  696
   ADMIN      SAF   numeric NOYESZF       0       0                0
      0                                         696
   ADMIN      ITT   numeric NOYESZF       0       0                0
      0                                         696
   ADMIN       PP   numeric NOYESZF       0       0                0
      0                                         696
   ADMIN      SEX   numeric    SEXF       0       0                0
      0                                    Sex  696
   ADMIN    AGE_C   numeric               4       0                0
      0                               Age calc  696
   ADMIN      TRT   numeric    TRTF       0       0                0
      0                                         696
   ADMIN CRF_VERS character               0       0                0
      0                        CRF Version no.  696

Thanks for any help,

Best wishes, Jean-Louis

PS: sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.1 RC (2008-06-20 r45965)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=French_France.1252;LC_CTYPE=French_France.1252;LC_MONETARY=French_France.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=French_France.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] SASxport_1.2.3 Hmisc_3.4-3    foreign_0.8-29 RWinEdt_1.8-0

[1] chron_2.3-24    cluster_1.11.11 grid_2.7.1      lattice_0.17-15

Jean-Louis Abitbol, MD
Chief Medical Officer
Trophos SA, Parc scientifique de Luminy, Case 931
Luminy Biotech Entreprises
13288 Marseille Cedex 9 France
Email: jlabitbol at trophos.com ---- Backup Email: abitbol at sent.com
Cellular: (33) (0)6 24 47 59 34
Direct Line: (33) (0)4 91 82 82 73-Switchboard: (33) (0)4 91 82 82 82
Fax: (33) (0)4 91 82 82 89