[R] Odp: Observed responses in 'augPred' data frame - Wrong order ?

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu Oct 9 15:11:37 CEST 2008

Hi

I had similar problem before and I ended with some ordering of groups
before making grouped data object but it was data specific so I can not
give you definite clue.

Regards
Petr

r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 08.10.2008 19:30:07:

> [...]
>
> 'my.object' being a grouped data frame of class:
>
> > class(my.object)
> [1] "nfnGroupedData" "nfGroupedData"  "groupedData"    "data.frame"
>
> The problem is more easily explained by showing these two to Trellis
> plot:
>
> > plot(my.object,some_options)
> > plot(augPred(lmList(my.object)),some_options)
>
> [link to output: http://www.palug.net/Members/jabba ]
>
> Clearly the problem is that the predictions are correct, but the
> wrong order, i.e. the response order does not match the grouping
> factor order (not sure this is in correct English, sorry).
>
> Debugging the function 'augPred.lmList' I've managed to understand that
> the problem resides in the following function calls:
>
> > debug(nlme:::augPred.lmList)
> > fm1.lis <- lmList(my.object)
> > augPred(fm1.lis)
> debugging in: augPred.lmList(fm1.lis)
> debug: {
>     primary <- getCovariate(data)
>     groups <- getGroups(object)
>     orig <- data.frame(primary,groups, getResponse(object))
> }
>
> This approach works well on other datasets, such us the Orthodont data,
> but not for mine because, i guess, my rows are not first ordered by
> subject (subject is my grouping factor). In fact:
>
> > getGroups(fm1.lis)[1:5]
> [1] CBT.1 CBT.2 CBT.3 CBT.4 CBT.5
> 34 Levels: CBT.14 < CBT.2 < CBT.11 < CBT.13 < CBT.12 < CBT.5 < ... < V.6
> > getResponse(fm1.lis)[1:5]
> CBT.1 CBT.1 CBT.1 CBT.1 CBT.2
>    34    32    29    27    28
>
> My question:
> is there a simple way to get the proper result (modify the dataset or
> modify the function)? RTFM responses are welcomed.
>
> My (humble?) opinion:
> Neither Pinheiro-Bates (2000) nor online documentation, report the
> need for a particular row order in the costruction of grouped data
> objects, and i think it should be better do not rely on it. Or, at
> least, to document it somewhere.
>

> I want to thank the R-core team and the entire R community for this
> amazingly efficient and versatile software, and i am very proud that the
> (not only) statistical state-of-the-art software have a ``gpl
> distribution'' (which have many desirable properties ;-) ).
>
> Cheers.
>
> +---------------------------+
> |Relevant system information|
> +---------------------------+
>
> > R.version
>                _
> platform       i486-pc-linux-gnu
> arch           i486
> os             linux-gnu
> system         i486, linux-gnu
> status
> major          2
> minor          7.2
> year           2008
> month          08
> day            25
> svn rev        46428
> language       R
> version.string R version 2.7.2 (2008-08-25)

LC_CTYPE=it_IT;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=it_IT;LC_COLLATE=it_IT;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=it_IT;LC_PAPER=it_IT;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C