[R] lme and lmer df's and F-statistics again

Julia S. julia.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 13:13:48 CEST 2008

Hi there,

thanks for your help. I did read Bates statement several times, and I am
very glad and thankful that many statisticians spend much time on this. The
problem is, as Dieter pointed it out, that many "end users" often have to
use statistics without being able to fully understand the math behind it.
Because if they would spend as much time on that as statisticians do, they
wouldn't be able to do what they do where they use statistics for.
And, no, I don't expect that a "simple" answer exists, but it might be that
somebody had a similar problem like me before and may have a convincing line
for a referee at hands. I have problems reformulating what I read here in my
own words.

Dieter: when you write:
"but to use lme instead when possible" do you mean that when using lme the
F-stats are correct? Because I assumed that the problem would be the same
with lme.

Julia