[R] trouble with character \u00e2

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 8 10:38:34 CEST 2008

You haven't given any of the information asked for in the posting guide.
But, assuming this is Windows in CP1252 (as I believe that has been your
locale before), it works for me in current R.

plot(1:10)
file.label <- "foo"
savePlot(paste("diagnostic â vs a ", file.label, ".jpg",
          sep = ""), type = "jpg")

If you are not using 2.8.0 beta or 2.7.2 patched, please check those.
This might be related to

     o	file.path() did not work correctly in 2.7.0 if the components
 	had different encodings.

(NEWS for 2.7.1).