[R] Creating GUIs for R

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Oct 7 19:15:40 CEST 2008

Wade,

What type of GUI do you want?

Do you want a full GUI that the user runs to do everything (that uses R as the computational engine)?  Look at R commander, JGR, and the R plugin for Excel as possible examples.

Are you more interested in a simple GUI for one specific plot or function to run from within R?  Some examples include the tkexamp function in the TeachingDemos package (or many of the functions in that package for examples), the fgui package, the playwith package, the tkrplot package, and the details of the tcltk and RGtk2 packages.

There are other packages that help with web interfaces (not GUIs, but still show using R as a back end).

I don't know of any specific documents on how to write either type of gui, but the above can give examples to start from.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center