[R] sort a list?

Erik Iverson iverson at biostat.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 7 19:00:17 CEST 2008

Since objects of class "list" in R can be made up of heterogeneous
objects, sorting them does not make much sense.  For example, does "A",
come before or after 1000, does a linear model summary come before or
after pi?

If your data are all numeric, store them as a numeric vector, where sort
works.  Vectors can be named in R, as in your example.

Also, 'order' does something different than 'sort'.

try the following:

x <- c(a = 1, b = 4, c = 2)
sort(x)
order(x)