[R] How to validate model?

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Oct 7 17:02:18 CEST 2008

Pedro.Rodriguez at sungard.com wrote:
> Usually one validates scorecards with the ROC curve, Pietra Index, KS
> test, etc. You may be interested in the WP 14 from BIS (www.bis.org).
>
> Regards,
>
> Pedro

No, the validation should be done using an absolute reliability
(calibration) curve.  You need to verify that at all levels of predicted
risk there is agreement with the true probability of failure.  An ROC
curve does not do that, and I doubt the others do.  A
resampling-corrected loess calibration curve is a good approach as
implemented in the Design package's calibrate function.

Frank