[R] FW: logistic regression

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Oct 7 05:21:43 CEST 2008

Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
> Hola!
>
> If the original questioner wants a guide as to how variables to measure
> IN THE FUTURE, when using his model in practice, thwen I think he will
> be unhappy with any advice which forces him to measure each of the 44
> variables
> when probably a small subset will do!   What is wrong with first using, let
> us say, penalized likelihood, maybe with CV to choose degree of smoothing,
> and SECONDLY using stepwise (maybee stepAIC from MASS) with
> the predicted values from the first step model to get a good
> few-vatiables approximation which can be used in practice? If my memory
> is'nt too bad, that
> idea is from harrel's book.

No, I never recommended that.  The probably is the extremely low
probability that the method will find the "right" variables.  The
process is unstable, and predicted values do not validate well.  If you
want parsimony then a unified approach based on an L1 penalty (lasso an
derivatives) is worth a look.  These methods select variables and
penalize the remaining variables.  The coefficients will be different
than had the remaining variables been put into an unpenalized model,
i.e., the method penalizes for the context of not knowing the right
variables in advance.

The penalized likelihood step you proposed is a good one but the
unpenalized stepwise method in the second step runs into problems.

Frank