[R] Computationally singular [provides coefficients but not covariance matrix]

dimitris kapetanakis gamitor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 18:32:11 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am estimating a regression but the summary command is unable to provide me
results, while the coefficients are available from the coefficients value. I
suppose that it cannot estimate the covariance matrix. Is there any command
that I can relax the tolerance so it can estimate the covariance matrix.

The code and the error of R is:

eq1<-rq(y~factor(year)+factor(state)+x1+x2+x3, tau=0.05, data=data1)

summary(eq1)

 summary(qr.05.nox)
Error in solve.default(crossprod(x)) :
  system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number =
4.51499e-31
Error in diag(solve(crossprod(x))) :
  error in evaluating the argument 'x' in selecting a method for function
'diag'

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks