[R] difference between sm.density() and kde2d()

Lavan rsumithran at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 23:47:00 CEST 2008

Dear R users,

I used sm.density function in the sm package and kde2d() in the MASS package
to estimate the bivariate density. Then I calculated the Kullback leibler
divergence meassure between a distribution and the each of the estimated
densities, but the asnwers are different. Is there any difference between
the kde2d and sm.density estimates? if there is a difference, then which is
the best estimate?

Thank you,

lavan