[R] When to set small values to 0?

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri Oct 3 15:28:02 CEST 2008

It really dependes on the nature of the computations that you are doing to obtain these real vectors, and also on the objective of your problem.  For example, if the real vectors are the result of some numerical approximation, then you can set the threshold to be equal to the error involved in the approaximation, if you know that.  If these thresholds are too high to be appropriate for your objective, then you can increase the accuracy of your numerical approximation and obtain a smaller threshold.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
School of Medicine