[R] namespaces

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Oct 2 18:11:55 CEST 2008

Here is what I do:

I have a different folder/directory for each of my different projects, then I start a new R session for each project that I am working on.  If you start R with the folder/directory as the current working directory then the workspace for that project is loaded (and the script files in that directory show up when I want to load them).  This means that I often have multiple copies of R running at the same time (which works fine), and switching between the projects just means switching which R window I am in.  The workspace saving between sessions pretty much takes care of itself (but still keep the script files to recreate data if needed).

If you are using windows, then the website:

shows a way to set up windows so that you can run R from a given folder using a right click.

  I also have the line:

in my .Rprofile so that the working folder name shows up in the window title.

Not exactly what you asked for, but it works well for me.  Hope it helps,

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
Intermountain Healthcare
greg.snow at imail.org