[R] Problem with read.table()

Joan-Josep Vallbé Pep.Vallbe at uab.cat
Thu Oct 2 15:05:15 CEST 2008

Hi, I've done ?count.fields and it helped me identify a blank space
that I had not noticed (thanks!), but when I try to upload the table
again with

ayuso <- read.table("/Users/user/Rwork/ayusotriada.txt", header=TRUE,
sep="\t", na.strings="NA", dec=".", strip.white=TRUE)

or with read.delim, the error message "Error with
make.names(col.names, unique =

>> TRUE) :
>> string multibyte 187 invalid

still appears. thanks!

On 02/10/2008, at 14:30, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> Look at ?count.fields to diagnose this.
>
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Joan-Josep Vallbé
> <pep.vallbe at uab.cat> wrote:
>> Hi, I've tried it with read.delim:
>>
>> ayuso <- read.delim("/Users/user/Rwork/ayusotriada.txt")
>>
>> and now the error message is "Error with make.names(col.names,
>> unique =
>> TRUE) :
>> string multibyte 187 invalid"
>>
>> thanks!
>>

>> On 02/10/2008, at 12:21, Joan-Josep Vallbé wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I'm a new user and I'm trying to use read.table with a tab delimited
>>> file but the system tells me (i) that there are more columns than
>>> column names, and (ii) that headers and col.names are of different
>>> lengths. I have already checked my variable names and there's no
>>> blank
>>> spaces. However, some variables have quite long names such as