[R] Negative Binomial Predictions

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Oct 1 18:55:15 CEST 2008

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Donald Catanzaro, PhD wrote:

> Good Day All,
>
> I have a negative binomial model which I have developed using the MASS
> library.  I now would like to develop some predictions from it.
> Running the predict.glm (stats library) using type="response" gives me a
> non-integer value which was rather puzzling.  I would like to confirm that
> this is actually the mean predicted value of the probability mass function as
> opposed to the most likely value.  I am afraid that reading the help file for
> predict.glm either does not state this or I don't understand what it states
> (which of course could always be the case)

It gives the conditional mean, i.e., the inverse link applied to the
linear predictor x'b.

> Given that this is a negative binomial model, the mean is often times to the
> right of the most likely value, so I'd like to ask how one would go about
> predicting the most likely value.

You can compute the expected probabilities for each count using the
predprob() method in package "pscl", or by hand using the dnbinom()
function:

## load data and fit model
library("pscl")
data("bioChemists")
fm <- glm.nb(art ~ ., data = bioChemists)

## compute expected probabilites for y = 0
## via predprob()
pp <- predprob(fm)
pp[,1]
## by hand
dnbinom(0, mu = fitted(fm), size = fm$theta)

## compute the count with the highest probability for each observation
apply(pp, 1, which.max) - 1
## or the median
apply(pp, 1, function(x) max(which(cumsum(x) < 0.5)))

hth,