[R] Logistic regression problem

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Oct 1 18:01:19 CEST 2008

From: Frank E Harrell Jr

> Bernardo Rangel Tura wrote:
> correlated and are not

> dataset. What would
> eliminate most
> variable B is not

> start set to
> >> I cannot imagine a worse way to formulate a regression
> model.  Reasons
> >> include
> >>
> >> 1. Results of recursive partitioning are not trustworthy
> unless the
> >> sample size exceeds 50,000 or the signal to noise ratio is
> extremely high.
> >>
> >> 2. The type I error of tests from the final regression
> model will be
> >> extraordinarily inflated.
> >>
> >> 3. False interactions will appear in the model.
> >>
> >> 4. The cutoffs so chosen will not replicate and in effect
> assume that
> >> covariate effects are discontinuous and piecewise flat.
> The use of
> >> cutoffs results in a huge loss of information and power
> and makes the
> >> analysis arbitrary and impossible to interpret (e.g., a
> high covariate
> >> value:low covariate value odds ratio or mean difference is
> a complex
> >> function of all the covariate values in the sample).
> >>
> >> 5. The model will not validate in new data.
> >
> > Professor Frank,
> >
> > Thank you for your explain.
> >
> > Well, if my first idea is wrong what is your opinion on the
> following
> > approach?
> >
> > 1- Make PCA with data excluding the binary variable
> > 2- Put de principal components in logistic model
> > 3- After revert principal componentes in variable (only if is
> > interesting for milicic.marko)
> >
> > If this approach is wrong too what is your approach?
>

> Hi Bernardo,
>
> If there is a large number of potential predictors and no previous
> knowledge to guide the modeling, principal components (PC) is
> often an
> excellent way to proceed.  The first few PCs can be put into
> the model.
>   The result is not always very interpretable, but you can
> "decode" the
> PCs by using stepwise regression or recursive partitioning (which are
> safer in this context because the stepwise methods are not exposed to
> the Y variable).  You can also add PCs in a stepwise fashion in the
> pre-specified order of variance explained.
>
> There are many variations on this theme including nonlinear principal
> components (e.g., the transcan function in the Hmisc package)
> which may
> explain more variance of the predictors.

While I agree with much of what Frank had said, I'd like to add some points.

Variable selection is a treacherous business whether one is interested in
prediction or inference.  If the goal is inference, Frank's book is a
must read, IMHO.  (It's great for predictive model building, too.)

If interaction is of high interest, principal components are not going
to give you that.

Regarding cutpoint selection:  The machine learners have found that
the `optimal' split point for a continuous predictor in tree algorithms
are extremely variable, that interpreting them would be risky at best.
Breiman essentially gave up on interpretation of a single tree when he
went to random forests.

Best,
Andy