[R] Snow and multi-processing

Blanchette, Marco MAB at stowers-institute.org
Sun Nov 30 16:30:15 CET 2008

I think I found a solution. I do not like to use global variable by fear of unpredictable side-effects but, I think that in this case I don't have to much chance.

Here is a mock function that pushes the content of a variable evaluated within a function to the nodes on the cluster, do some computation on the nodes using that variable and then return the result after cleaning up the newly created global variable.

Let me know what you people think:

aTest <- function(x,n.nodes=2){
  library(snow)

  #initialize a cluster
  makeCluster(rep('locahost',n.nodes),type='SOCK')

  #create a global variable
  y <<- x

  #export the variable to the cluster
  clusterExport(cl,'y')

  #do some computation on the cluster
  c <- clusterEvalQ(cl,y+2)

  #remove the variable from the global environment
  rm(y, envir=.GlobalEnv)

  #stop the cluster
  stopCluster(cl)

  #exit and return the computation