[R] editor for MacOS X

Blanchette, Marco MAB at stowers-institute.org
Fri Nov 28 16:57:33 CET 2008

Carbon emacs ( http://homepage.mac.com/zenitani/emacs-e.html) using the ess-mode ( http://ess.r-project.org/). Amazingly good integration of different buffer types for different tasks. You can have your R session running in a buffer, a .R buffer where you edit your functions/sources and with very simple key strokes you can send/run lines, functions or full buffer into the running R session. Great integration of the help pages too.

This as become my central environment where I do all my computing work, programming (perl, python, etc...), shell work, R jobs, MySQL work etc... In addition, your Mac can be configure to run emacs remotely as a client on any other type of machine. For instance, at home, on my PC or on my Mac, I can fire up an SSH connection from either X11 or PuTTY to the Mac desktop in my office, then fire up emacs from the terminal, et voila! I am running jobs on the computer in my office (which as 8 core and 32Mb of RAM) from the same environment as I normally used in my office (can be a bit bandwidth intensive though).

You should also check the noweb mode ( http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~nr/noweb/) for integrating codes and documentation, pretty cool.

Cheers,

Marco