[R] creating a new vecotr in a for loop

PDXRugger J_R_36 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 26 00:19:34 CET 2008

I have consulted the intro and nabble but have not found an answer to what
should be a simple question, here goes:

I am doing a crosscheck of a data frame and pulling out a single value based
on an inputted value ie based on x i will select y, or if x =2 then my code
returns 7.

x    y
1   4
2   7
3   10
4   2

My code currently iterates through for as many times as the length of the x
dataframe.  What i would like to do is then is to build a vector for those
values selected.  so if vector x  = 1,4,7 then "new-y" would equal 4, 2, 3.

x    y
1   4
2   7
3   10
4   2
5   21
6   13
7  3
8  90

I need to ultimetly re-sort my x vector based on the values of y but the
function i am using is the subset function and i cant do it without y being
a vector itself and it is currently only a one value object.

#Creates test Candidates Vector
Candidates=c(100,101,102,103,104,105)

#Creates object equaling the number of candidate TAZs from the main script
Location Choice Model
NumCands1=length(Candidates)

Dev..At=9999999
	for(i in 1:NumCands1){

	#Renames Location Choice Model generated TAZ's object
	Loc_Mod_TAZ=Candidates[i]

	#Converts Development size from main script to Development density function
format
	Dev_Size=Dev..At

	#This is my "y" value in the example i gave above, this is the value that i
need put into a           #          vector, a vector that should have as
many values as there are number of candidates
	TAZDetermine_FEET=TAZ_VAC_FEET[TAZ_VAC_FEET$TAZ==Loc_Mod_TAZ,2]

	#Creates new vector based on adaquate vacancy in the TAZ and the
development to be located
	Newcands=subset(Loc_Mod_TAZ, TAZDetermine_FEET>=Dev_Size)

	}

Thanks for the help
Cheers,
JR